I have oily skin. Are you sure I need a face serum!! I don’t even use a moisturizer as I already have so much of oil on my face!! I will turn a grease ball!!
All mentioned above is a myth. Oily skin needs moisturization, needs serum, just that the type and ingredients change. Products become water or gel based. Oily skin secretes sebum and if it is not moisturized well, it secretes more sebum, hence more oil. So, better, give it water and food, so that it doesn’t start producing its own and makes you an oil factory :D.
What is face serum –
Face serum is a lightweight moisturizer that contains active ingredients which penetrate deep into the skin and give great results. Typically, face serums are full of nutrients, literally jam packed, and hence a little goes a long way. Serums are mostly water based and they target different skin concerns like ageing, dark spots, wrinkles etc. and contain ingredients accordingly. Primarily, the basic task of serum is to add water to skin, it works as hydrator and hence, is water based with little to no oils.
Mostly, face serums alone are not sufficient moisturizers and need to be topped up with a cream. But the sequence should always be like this –
Day Time –
Cleansing -> Toning -> Serum -> Sunscreen -> Makeup (if reqd.)
Night Time –
Cleansing -> Toning -> Serum -> Moisturizer + Face oil
Follow this and you can not fail in skin care.
Coming back to our original topic – Serums for oily skin.
What to look out for in a serum, specifically for oily skin. The key is – INGREDIENTS.
This is one thing, actually not one, that makes or brakes a product. Let me show you how to choose ingredients wisely in more readable bullets –
- No Alcohol – It will strip your skin of moisture and encourage pores to increase production of sebum. More sebum means more pimples, blackheads & whiteheads.
- Not overly drying properties.
- It should have hydrating ingredients. Say Aloe Vera which is like a packet of water and contains amino acids, minerals and enzymes and it also acts a good base for serums.
- Humectant properties means it has ingredients that attract water. Hyaluronic acid is one such humectant.
- Antioxidant rich to fight off pollution and environmental stress which are main causes of early ageing signs.
- Look for Vitamin C if your concern is fine lines or wrinkles or anti ageing.
- Feel good when ingredient list mentions – green tea, hyaluronic acid, glycolic acid, retinol. When used in night time, these will benefit your skin, unclog pores, exfoliate dead skin cells & brighten skin up.
- Non – comedogenic.
- Not chemicals loaded.
Here are top 10 serums you can rely upon for oily skin –
1. Mizon Original Skin Energy Hyaluronic Acid – $13.99
Priced reasonably, Mizon is a Korean brand. The serum from Mizon is a light weight, silky and fast absorbing formula that is suitable for all skin types.
2. Innisfree The Green Tea Seed Serum – $26
Again, my beloved Korean skin care brand, Innisfree. This provides lot of moisture and freshness with its ingredients- 100% green tea, amino acids and minerals.
3. The Body Shop Vitamin C Skin Boost Instant Smoother – $29
It contains natural camu camu berry with 20x more Vitamin C than orange!! Best works for dull skin and those who want a radiant complexion.
4. L’oreal Paris Hydrafresh Deep Boosting Essence – Rs. 685/-
Enriched with triple lock-in moisture of 3 hyaluronic acid and pure french spa water, it has the ability to lock-in more moisture.
5. Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-ageing Revitalizing Serum – Rs. 1399
This one is a great serum that works effectively for anti ageing too. It suits all skin types. It contains amino peptide + B3 complex, pro vitamin B5, green tea extract, allantoin and glycerine.
6. Bioderma White Objective Serum – Rs. 2636
Personally telling you, this serum removes brown spots and pigmentation. Use it only for a month and notice the difference. This serum is enriched with Vitamin C that decreases the number of melanin pigments contained in epidermis. You can use it directly on brown spots too.
7. Neutrogena Fine Fairness Serum – Rs. 799
This inexpensive yet effective serum from Neutrogena is alcohol free and oil free and helps even out skin tone. It lightens and brightens the skin and doesn’t clog pores.
8. Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum – Rs. 4600
This is a lightweight and oil free serum that clears out pore clogging debris and oil and results in reduced pore size in 10 days usage. It totally justifies the cost.
9. Estee Lauder Idealist pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher – Rs. 4900
No product from Estee Lauder fails you. I love each and every product from Estee. This serum is again magical and works wonders. It gives you visibly reduced pores in no time!! Your skin will look and feel soft, smooth and silky. Use it and you won’t look back!!
10. Vichy Aqualia Thermal Dynamic Hydration Serum – Rs. 1850
Good for hydration for all skin types, it contains thermal spa water and enriched with Hyaluronic acid. It is best suited for sensitive skin and contains no parabens.