So, we know that foundations are either silicon based or water based. Both have their pros & cons depending upon our requirements. I personally use both types, of course separately. and thankfully, both suit me well. No doubt, water based foundations are better for skin and especially oily, acne prone skin as they contains lotsa water and they don’t clog pores and don’t make that sort of smooth covering on your skin and hence let it breathe. But silicon based foundations are also necessary as they are super long lasting and give a smooth flawless finish to face. Silicon based foundations are also mattifying and control shine.
Though foundations are also oil based too, but we don’t be going into that in this post.
So, let’s first know what are these terms – Silicon based and Water based foundation means. And then we will go through some very popular foundations and know about their base.
Silicon vs Water Based Makeup –
- Firstly, they are not meant to be used together. If you want your makeup to last long and not want that ‘Makeup coming out and not holding up on face’ look, check the compatibility. You can’t layer silicon based products over water based or vice versa. Same type can be layered on face.
- Makeup in which ingredient list contains ends either with ‘cone’, ‘conol’, ‘silane’ or contains ‘silo’, they are silicon based makeups/foundations, even if water is an ingredient. Water is there in almost every makeup product.
- Water based foundations are better for daily wear and are most suitable for acne prone skin and dry skin as these are gentle and nourishing.
- Silicon based makeup is long lasting and mattifying and controls shine, hence great for special occasions.
Though there are many more differences, we won’t go into the details as it will turn away from the topic in hand. I want to give you some options of both types of foundations so that you can decide which one you want to use and when.
All Water based foundations may not be totally free from silicones but the amount will be too less. The amount depends upon the number at which the silicon is present. The earlier, the more the silicone, the later, the less quantity. I have tried to compile these lists as per best of my knowledge. Rest, we can discuss through comment section :).
Silicon Based Foundations –
- Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation
Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation
Maybelline Fit Me Dewy + Smooth Foundation
Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Makeup For Combination/Oily
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation
Stila Aqua Glow Serum Foundation
Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Liquid Foundation
NARS All Day Luminous Foundation
Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Foundation
Kat Von D Lock It Foundation
Cover FX Custom Cover Drops
Water Based Foundations –
- Milk Blur Liquid Matte Foundation
MAC Face and Body Foundation
Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation
Lakme Absolute White Intense Skin Cover Foundation
Make Up For Ever Water Blend Face and Body Foundation
Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer Foundation
MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation
L’Oreal True Match Super Blendable Makeup
Cover FX Natural Finish Foundation
Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serum Foundation
Too Faced Born This Way Foundation
Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Soft Matte Hydra Makeup
Lancome Teint Miracle Foundation
bareMinerals Bareskin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation – no oil, silicone, fragrance or parabens
The foundations you see in Water based list may not purely be water based and have some silicons in it but the major difference lies in base. The ones having more of water are considered water based foundation.
This is all for today. I hope this post has answered some of your queries. Atleast, you can decide what you want to put daily on your face and what is for special occasions.
I will come up with some more interesting stuff soon.
Thodi si extra information – Silicon and Silica are not same :). So, read ingredients carefully.